Saturday, December 13, 2003

”The family that prays together stays together.”

Family Theater, an anthology drama created by Father Patrick Peyton of the Holy Cross Fathers as an effort to promote family prayer, made its debut over Mutual Radio (“the world’s largest network”) on February 13, 1947 and left the airwaves after an eight-year-run on July 4, 1956. Family Theater, despite its religious affiliation (strictly non-denominational, of course), was virtually indistinguishable from many of the other dramatic anthologies prevalent on radio at that time.

The program attracted much of Hollywood's big-name talent—Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck, Jack Benny, and Shirley Temple, to name a few—all freely donating their time, thus eliminating the need for hefty star salaries. It would have been difficult to pay all those performers, anyway—the show featured no commercials, only a weekly appeal touting the power of prayer. (“Family Theater…brought to you by PrayerCo…”)

The show frequently began with a famous quote by Alfred Lloyd Tennyson: “More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.” Other taglines associated with the program include “A world at prayer is a world at peace” and “The family that prays together, stays together.” Both of these slogans were created by a man named Al Scalpone.

Loretta Young is probably the most well-known Hollywood performer associated with Family Theater, appearing on not only the show’s debut broadcast but making twenty-nine additional appearances as well (easily the program’s record). I tuned in to one of those performances last night, as Loretta was the narrator of “The Littlest Angel,” a pleasant semi-dramatization of the Charles Taswell story about a misfit cherub whose simple birthday gift to the Christ Child is more valuable than any of the other gifts offered by his angelic brethren and sistern. The program was originally broadcast December 21, 1949, and includes some gorgeous-to-hear choral numbers (“Carol of the Bells,” “What Child is This?”) orchestrated by Harry Zimmerman.

I enjoyed “Angel” so much that I listened to a second Family Theater afterward, a December 15, 1948 broadcast entitled “A Daddy For Christmas.” Hosted by Shirley Temple, it tells a sweetly simple story of a boy (Bobby Driscoll) who desperately wants a father as a Christmas gift. The story kicks off as he and his mother (Linda Johnson) are at a department store—the young boy sees Santa Claus and remembers there’s something important he needs to ask him:

STEVIE: Santa Claus?
SANTA: Well, well, well, well…what a nice little boy…come here and tell Santa what you want for Christmas…
STEVIE: You know…
SANTA: Huh?
STEVIE: I’m Steven Hunt…you know what I want…
MARY: Uh, Santa…you took his list when you were across the street in Wilson’s department store…
SANTA: Oh! Oh yes, that’s right…I remember now…I was getting you all mixed up with another nice little boy I know…
STEVIE; Mommy calls me a little scamp…
SANTA: Oh ho ho…but you’re a nice little scamp…I’ll tell you what, son…I left my notebook across the street…so, uh…how about you giving me that list of all the things all over again…first, what’s your address…?
STEVIE: Steven Hunt…2228 Elm Street
SANTA: All right, Steven…now, what do you want for Christmas?
STEVIE: Well, I want the sled…
SANTA: Mm-hmm…
STEVIE: A bicycle…
SANTA: With two wheels?
STEVIE: With three wheels…
SANTA: Oh, that’s a tricycle…
STEVIE: I don’t want a tricycle…I want a bicycle…
SANTA: With three wheels?
STEVIE: Uh-huh…
SANTA: Mmm…one bicycle with three wheels…I get it…
STEVIE: …and I want a scooter…a pony…a wagon…and I want a Daddy…
SANTA: A Daddy…?
MARY: His Daddy didn’t come back from the war…I don’t think Stevie remembers him, but…
SANTA (understanding): …but all his friends have daddies…
STEVIE: And I want a Daddy, too!

Later that Christmas Eve, Stevie waits for Santa’s arrival:

MARY: All right, Stevie…off to bed (pause) I said to bed, not to the window…
STEVIE: I’m looking for Santa Claus!
MARY: Now, get to bed…Santa will come after you’re asleep…
STEVIE: There he is now!
MARY: There who is?
STEVIE: Santa Claus! He’s coming up the drive with a great big bag!
MARY: What???
STEVIE: Here he comes, here he comes!
MARY: Stevie, what on earth…
(SFX: door knock, walking, door opens)
SANTA: Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas!!! (SFX: door closes)
STEVIE: Santa Claus! Santa Claus! I told Mommy it was you! Whadja bring me?
MARY: It is Santa Claus!
SANTA: Oh please, lady…don’t tell me you don’t believe in Santa Claus!
MARY: I’ll…I’ll believe anything now…
STEVE: Whadja bring me, whadja bring me?
SANTA: Well, now wait—let me put my bag down first…
MARY: Wh-What are you doing here?
SANTA: Hmm? Well, I was just flying by on my reindeer…my sleigh…when I saw what a nice Christmas tree you had and decided to drop in…well, I couldn’t find a chimney on this side of the house so I decided to use the door…
STEVIE: Where’s your reindeer?
SANTA: Hmm? Oh, my reindeer! Oh, I sent them back to the North Pole to pick up some more toys!
STEVIE: Whadja bring me?
SANTA: Well, let’s open my bag here…and see what we’ve got for Steven (SFX: bag rustling, metal sounds) Well! A bicycle with three wheels!
STEVIE: Oh, Mommy, look! Santa Claus remembered! Can I ride it? Can I? (SFX: bicycle bell) It’s got a bell! It’s got a bell! Mommy…Mommy, what’s the matter?
MARY (through tears): Nothing, honey…I’m just happy…because…because Santa Claus remembered…

The Santa turns out to be a young man named Joe Regan (played by acting vet Pat O’Brien) who bought Stevie the bike because the boy’s request for a father was stuck so firmly in his mind. Joe and Mary eventually marry later on, and while their attempts to carry out a normal family life are promising at first, things begin to hit a snag. Mary wants Joe to have a prosperous career, and talks him out of quitting his furniture factory job to take a sales position at a hardware store.

But Joe isn’t cut out to be a salesman; he loses the job and finds it difficult to locate another—especially since Mary doesn’t want him to settle for a job in which there’s no ambition involved. Mary finally ends up having to go back to work so that they can make ends meet, and Joe, devastated by this, leaves Mary and Stevie, convinced that he’s a failure.

Mary continues on in Joe’s absence, and tries to tell herself that the two of them will be better off without Joe, especially since he has no ambition. It’s only after a discussion with Stevie’s young friend Jimmy that she realizes that Joe isn’t cut out for that type of work—Jimmy extols Joe’s virtues, telling Mary that he spends quality time with the kids, showing them how to throw a baseball and how to hold a bat.

Mary now knows that Joe has been giving Stevie not material things, but the most precious thing a father can offer—attention. When Christmas Eve rolls around again, Mary begins to pray for Joe’s return:

STEVIE: Do you think Santa will come, Mom?
MARY (sobbing) I hope so, Stevie…I hope so (to herself) But if he were going to…he’d be here by now…it would be like Joe to come back tonight for Stevie…maybe if he comes back for Stevie I can get him to stay for me…oh, Joe…
STEVIE: Mommy, what’s the matter?
MARY: Nothing, honey…nothing at all…okay…it’s off to bed with you…
STEVIE: Are you crying ‘cause Santa Claus didn’t come?
MARY: Never mind…it’s time…(SFX: door knock) I’ll get it…
(SFX: walking to door, door open)
JOE (as Santa): Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas!
(SFX: door closes)
MARY (crying) Darling…I knew you’d come…I knew it…
STEVIE: It’s Santa Claus! Santa Claus!
JOE (in a low voice) Mary…uh oh, watch it…my beard…
STEVIE: Santa Claus’ whiskers are coming off (surprise gasp) It’s Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!
JOE: Hello, son…
STEVIE: Mommy, Daddy’s Santa Claus!
MARY (still crying) Yes, dear…Daddy’s Santa Claus…you’re back to stay, aren’t you, Joe…?
JOE: Yes, I’m back…and Mary…I’m sorry I left the way I did…I was a coward…from now on, I’ll try to be the kind of a guy you want…
MARY: No, dear…from now on just be yourself…that’s the kind of guy I want…
JOE: Oh, Mary…oh, enough of this mush stuff…I gotta go about my business…Stevie been a good boy?
MARY: Perfect…just like his daddy…
JOE: Really? That’s too bad…well, let’s see what we’ve got here (SFX: bag opening, more metal sounds)
STEVIE: Oooooh…a Racer!
MARY: With big rubber tires!
STEVIE: Thank you, Santa…Daddy! Daddy?
JOE: What is it, fella?
STEVIE: I know where you’ve been…
JOE: You do?
STEVIE: You’ve been up at the North Pole, making toys!
JOE: You know…I couldn’t have thought of a better explanation…
MARY: That’s the only one I ever want to hear…

“A Daddy For Christmas” is entertaining radio drama, albeit a little on the schmaltzy side. (Also, I'm not sure how old Stevie is supposed to be, but he comes off a bit of a brat.) Family Theater may no longer grace the airwaves but its influence can be heard on the modern day program Unshackled, an award-winning religious drama that originates from the Pacific Garden Mission in Chicago—in fact, not only is it the longest-running drama in radio history but it's still on the air as of this posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment